Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unit 6: Universal Loving Kindness

Hello everyone,
Universal Loving Kindness:
This exercise is quite easy to perform but I enjoyed doing it as well. I saw this exercise as a kind of prayer and felt that I can incorporate it into my prayer time each day. It is a very simple meditation and yet, it feels as if it says so much in those 4 little sentences. I did not need a focal point or anything to utilize it, because I simply stated it as I would if I was praying.
Integral Assessment:
This process is definitely involved and required me to put a lot of thought, time, and focus into it so that I could go through it accordingly. I believe that this process is one that you can do as many or as little times as you think you need to do it, and it is a great way to really find the depth of questions and answers that we might have about our integral health.
I discovered that using a journal during the process is something that I definitely needed because it helped me to put things in a more focused area. I also discovered that I would have a hard time using someone as a guide, or at least someone within a close vicinity to me.
I have decided that I need to focus on my psychospiritual growth because there is a great deal of things in my past that I have yet to forgive and let go of. Some of them were quite painful experiences and I believe that in time, I would be able to forgive and be able to move forward past them. Also, I believe that I need to learn how to truly find the depth of love for myself before I am able to think about incorporating another person into my life. Some of the things that I have yet to forgive have come from past relationships and I feel that it part of what is holding me back from finding that significant other in my life.
I believe utilizing the assessment would be a great way to help me with learning things that I can do to further my growth in the psychospiritual aspect of my life. I believe that being able to look at things when I am at an inner stillness, learning from them, and giving forgiveness for them will help me to move further with my own growth and life.
Reference:
Dacher, E. M.D. (2006) Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing, Chapter 9, 10, & 11.
            Laguna Beach, CA. Basic Health Publications, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I too felt like the universal loving-kindness exercise was similar to my prayers. It especially reminds me of the list of petitions that we pray for at Mass each week. I assume from your posts that you are a Christian. If so I have a great resource to suggest to you. I had some of the same problems with letting go of the past as you seem to be having. I went to a Christian counselor who recommended the book "The Search for Significance" by Robert McGee. There is also a journal/workbook that you can get to go with it. This book truly helped me to develope a sense of self worth and the ability to love myself. I would recommend it to any Christian!

    It sounds like you have a good grasp on what you need to work on. It sounds like you know that you need to love yourself before you can have a fulfilling and healthy relationship with someone else. Good luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    After reading your post and thinking about what you said made me realize one thing you need to do is forgive yourself. Like the section in our Consciousness and Healing book which talks about the benefits of forgiveness. People often think that forgiveness is about forgiving the act or the person who did the offense, but that is not what it is about, which I found really enlightening because sometimes actions are just unforgivable. But forgiveness of self and the release of what has held you back is what's important.
    I have things in my life that I won't forgive but I am learning to forgive myself in the ways I need to. Living in the past or reliving things that were done is only hurting ourselves. My dad always said what comes around goes around and I have found that to be so very true. Karma has a way of balancing things out, sometimes it seems to take too long but rest assured it will.
    You are on the path to recovery so you can move on and live a happy fulfilling life don't let anyone or anything spoil it. No regrets just lessons learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, Your post is very wise, especially the part about the importance of your personal growth and how that has affected you in finding love and even a life partner. I would like to agree with what you say about how working on yourself will open you up for love. People will be drawn to you! Good luck with your journey and I'm glad that you took this class as part of it. I think everyone in the class should be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,
    I too chose psychospiritual as a weakness because it covers so many aspects of our lives. The universal loving kindness exercise to me felt empowering. I don't pray as much as I should so this is a step in the right direction for me.

    Forgiveness is important and can take a lot of weight off of your shoulders. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea incorporating it into prayer, I never thought about that. A lot of people sit down each day and pray which is a form of meditation, saying just those few extra lines would be a great addition.It sounds like you are on the right path to forgiveness and love.I think these exercises will really help with that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete