Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Unit 9 Final Project.

Unit 9 Blog:
I do not know how to add documents to my blog so I just copied and pasted it for you all to read. I truly hope you enjoy it and can give me some great feedback! Thanks!
 Unit 9 Final Project
The importance for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically is because the patients depend on these individuals to show them the correct way to adhere these practices into their lives and need to set an example for them to be able to do just that.  We cannot simply teach people how to incorporate an overall wellbeing and integral approach to their health if we are not willing to exhibit the same type of behavior ourselves.  In addition, we need to be able to show these patients that we can walk the walk, as well as we can talk the talk.  There are far too many people telling people how to live their lives but still participating in the behavior that they are telling their patients not to be a part of.  If a patient is to see just one of these physicians out in the street smoking a cigarette after being told by the same physician to stop smoking, that patient is honestly not going to see the importance of ceasing smoking and the benefits that it will have for their health.
            In order to achieve my goals that I have set forth for myself, I truly need to find a holistic physician for myself.  I believe that my overall health would benefit better if I was seeing a physician who is able to be on the same page as me, is willing to spend more than 5 minutes talking to me, and one that will understand my need of being able to treat my body as a whole, instead of piece by piece.  Also, I need to continue to incorporate the meditations, visualizations, and other exercises into my daily life because without them, I feel as if I lose myself into the negative thoughts and images that have always plagued my mind.  I want to have that freedom that being calm and happy gives to me and allow me to experience life from a new set of eyes so to speak.
            On a scale from 1 to 10, I would have to base my overall physical wellbeing as a 7.  I am still struggling in this area because some days are better than others and because of my constant back pain that I find it hard to have a perfect score for this.  I am getting spinal epidurals and recently got a medial branch block on both the left and right side of my spine in order to help relieve some of the pain.  I am hoping to one day be pain free in this area of my life and I feel that my meditation can help me achieve feeling as if I have some control over that.
            On a spiritual level, I would have to say that I feel like I have a score of 10.  I feel like I have achieved this because I tend to pray and use my meditation for this purpose as well.  As we learned by using the universal loving-kindness, we can not only wish good health for those we love and care about, as well as ourselves, but also for complete strangers who may have a need in their life as well.
Psychologically, I would say I am teetering between a 7 and an 8.  The reason for this is because I still tend to have negative thoughts at times and allow them to affect me negatively.  I believe that if I can keep working on becoming a more positive person and having a positive outlook, that I will relearn how to not think so negatively and allow it affect my overall wellbeing, such as mood and how I physically feel.  However, I do have some positive improvement into this area and am proud that I have achieved that.  I have learned how to let go of things that were bothering me and am learning how to approach things in a calmer state, rather than being hot-headed.
GOALS:
1.)    Physical: My physical goal is to continue to do what I can to relieve my back pain through the going to my doctor and also to incorporate some low-impact exercising into my daily regimen as my body allows it.  I have been using a “gazelle” and want to continue to upgrade the amount of time I use it on a daily basis.
2.)    Spiritual: Continue on my path of seeing the good in everything that I do and am involved in.  Encourage those around me to practice the meditations with me and enjoy finding that wellbeing that makes me feel alright with myself and with the world around me.  Also, continue incorporating my meditation and visualization exercises into my daily life because these help me stay in touch with my goals and what I want to accomplish.
3.)    Psychological: I would say that this kind of ties in with my spiritual goals because I want to be able to have less mental chatter and feel the positive effects of the meditation and enjoying a bigger peace of mind than I have ever known before.  Being able to cut the mental chatter helps me to be confident in my choices and with what I am doing in my life as far as changing and looking forward to the future.
Strategies for accomplishing my physical goal are to not only continue with my therapy through the doctor but also inquire about learning yoga.  I believe this would allow my body to strengthen and will allow me to incorporate something new and exciting into my life that can be beneficial in numerous ways, such as strengthening my body, releasing stress, and allowing my body to learn some flexibility.  I have always been interested in yoga and I am sure there would be a teacher out there that would be willing to work with me on my inhibitions and the rigidity of my back with exercises that would help me to achieve what I want to achieve.
Psychologically, I will continue to implement the visualization exercise shown to us by Dacher on pages 145 and 146 of his book.  This visualization exercise allows me to find a very positive and uplifting place in which to be and to remember some memories without incorporating all of the less happy ones at the same time.  Sometimes, when we are remembering, it is hard to keep the less happier memories at bay as well, but with this exercise and the degree of focus in which you need to give it, you would not have the time nor want to waste the energy on bringing up other memories that do not need to be rehashed.  Also, I can encourage my growth in this area by continuing to use the Loving-Kindness exercise.  Whether it is the regular one or the universal one, this meditation exercise allows you to love yourself before you give to others and allows you to find the way to be kind to everyone you meet, not just people that you are already acquainted with.
            In order for me to continue to foster my growth in spirituality, I can continue to use prayer as one of my exercises.  You honestly do not need to know “how to pray” in order to utilize this within your life.  You just bow your head, give thanks, ask for forgiveness, and then bless those around you in whatever way you feel that you should, whether it is asking for healing an ailment to helping them in their marriage to helping them learn how to be a better person.  They will be heard and if given the right amount of faith and cultivation, will most likely come true.  My other exercise would be the Loving-kindness exercise because it can ultimately be used for both spiritual and psychological growth.  You are implementing a factor into your life that is allowing you to learn to love and continue to love yourself but also willing it to be passed on to others as well.  It is a great tool for growth and for learning how to love yourself first so that you can allow others to enter in.
            In order to assess myself in 6 months, I will begin keeping a journal of when I accomplished my exercises that I plan to utilize on a daily basis.  Also, I will put in notes in regards to things that I wanted to check on, such as the yoga classes.  I believe another way to help myself stay on this track is to see if I can incorporate a friend or loved one in my life to join me in this journey so that they can experience it as well and we can use each other to stay on track.  However, I cannot solely depend upon this person to keep me motivated so therefore I plan to hang inspirational mottos around the house in order to inspire me in those off moments that I may have.  As long as I keep my encouragement going, I know that I can achieve my goals and more!
            Belief is the big key in this process because without it, no matter what kind of practices or exercises that we are learning about will matter.  We have to know within ourselves that this is a journey worth stepping out into and are willing to take the plunge, even with the good and the bad.  It is not going to be easy because this is a journey and there are going to be bumps in the our road, but as long as we know that we have the tools to handle those bumps will we be able to continue to keep going along our paths, no matter where they may lead, just as long as they are positive!



References:
Dacher, E. M.D. (2006) Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA.
Basic Health Publications, Inc.
Schlitz, M. Amorok, T. Micozzi, M. (2005) Consciousness & healing: Integral Approaches to
 Mind-Body Medicine. St. Louis, MO. Elsevier Inc.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    As you already know I have severe back problems too so I certainly sympathize with you. But I want to tell you that you are on the right track if you find an exercise routine you can stick to. Find whatever works for you because by building the muscles along your spine it will help tremendously, also stretching everyday helps so much by keeping the spine flexible, when it tightens up is when it will hurt even more. Of course there is no cure and something we have to live with for the rest of our lives but we can find some relief.
    As for the psychological we both have to strive for acceptance of ourselves, I think that's all anyone can hope for in life, perfection is nonexistent. But I know you are on your way to the best you possible and that is all we can ask for. I believe in you keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    I love your idea of finding a holistic physician. I have been looking for one for some time, but I live in a rural area and the closest one I have found is an hour away. I did find a traditional physician that seems more willing to help me incorporate CAM practices and more herbal and natural medicines when possible. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you it's hard to find a physician that will talk to you for more than five minutes. I think it is important to learn and get treated by someone that knows about integral health. The good thing is that there are more and more holistic practitioners popping up all over. I like that you mentioned a journal because that is something I said I was going to do for myself as well. I think it is a great way to stay motivated and to track our progress. I loved your idea also about hanging inspirational mottos around the house I think I am going to copy that Idea! It sounds like you have some great goals good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,
    Practice what you preach should be every physician's motto...Example: My friend went to a nutritionist recently and they were really over weight. I'm sure anyone can learn a trade but to actually apply those skills is something totally different.
    Good luck with your back pain, keep trying everything until you reach your pain free goal. I think we are on the same page with our goals in the sense of psychospiritual. I find it hard to split the two. Great final project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    I believe your feelings and goals were very well expressed. I am glad the mediations and exercises in Dacher are really strengthening you too. I think you are on the right track with the visualization exercises.

    I did not realize you suffered form back pain. I have recently had problems with my back (they are resolved now). I was amazed at how hard it was to concentrate on anything else. All I wanted was for the pain to go away. Be sure to give yourself the credit you deserve, having a positive attitude when you are in pain is extremely difficult.

    Both you and Char talked a lot about prayer. Because I have always prayed and recently have been spending a lot of time in church, I have not really considered this as a part of my growth or path to flourishing. For that, I was wrong. I know in my heart everything I have has been given to me by God, even the strength to get the most form this course. He will be my guide in the weeks, months, and years ahead as I continue on my path. Thank you for reminding me of that.

    Also, I want to do the same as you, there are a lot of quotes I find inspiring in Dacher, I am going to post them around the house too. As well as any others I may come across.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete